- A lacrosse team displayed true sportsmanship when they gave up a world championship spot for a Native American Team.
- The Iroquois Nationals lacrosse team had placed higher than the Ireland Lacrosse team but was initially declared ineligible to participate in The World Games.
- So when they were eventually allowed to participate if a spot opened up, Ireland Lacrosse didn’t think twice to give up their spot!
Winning is not always everything when it comes to sports. Sometimes it’s not even about competing.
True sportsmanship means treating each other with fairness and respect — even if it means passing up the chance to shine.
One such team, Ireland Lacrosse, demonstrated this in an amazing gesture when they gave up a world championship spot to give another team the opportunity.
Ireland Lacrosse earned a spot at The World Games 2022 in Birmingham, Alabama, after placing in the 2018 Federation of International Lacrosse World Championship.
Unfortunately, the Iroquois Nationals lacrosse team wasn’t part of the selected eight teams — even though they came in third, compared to Ireland Lacrosse’s 12th place.
The International World Games Association cited two reasons for the Iroquois Nationals’ ineligiblility to participate in The World Games:
- While they represent the Iroquois Confederacy, which is made up of the Mohawk, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, Seneca, and Tuscarora tribes, they apparently don’t represent a sovereign nation.
- They do not have an Olympic committee.
The association later reversed the decision, however, announcing that the team could play — but only if a spot was available.
So Ireland Lacross decided to give up their spot to allow the Iroquois Nationals to take their rightful place.
Michael Kennedy, CEO of Ireland Lacrosse, explained, “It’s simply the right thing to do. … As much as our players would have been honored to compete, we know the right thing is for the Iroquois Nationals to represent our sport on this international stage.”
The Iroquois Nationals couldn’t be more grateful. Their team has been the only Native American team with international recognition.
The team expressed their gratitude in a Twitter post that read, “Your actions have spoken louder than words showing everyone the true power of sport, and the spirit of lacrosse.”
Ireland Lacross showed the true meaning of sportsmanship, and it has made them champions even without competing.
Source: inspire MORE