- The Yorkshire Museum in England started a Twitter trend called #CuratorBattle a few months ago to invite museums from all over the globe to showcase their artifacts.
- With monthly themes ranging from the “creepiest items” to the “best cat” they have on display, museum curators have given us a semi-virtual tour.
- Last month’s theme — #BestMuseumBum — certainly got museum curators vying for the title.
Most museums across the world may remain closed amid the pandemic, but they still make sure to reach art lovers online.
Just a few months ago, the Yorkshire Museum in England started a Twitter trend called #CuratorBattle. It invited museums from all over the globe to showcase artifacts that fit the month’s theme.
The first theme involved the “creepiest items” they have on display. Other themes included “mystery objects,” “fantastic fakes,” and “best cat.”
Last month’s theme could be described as somewhat scandalous — but it certainly got everyone’s attention.
IT’S TIME FOR #CURATORBATTLE!💥— Yorkshire Museum (@YorkshireMuseum) June 26, 2020
Today’s theme is #BestMuseumBum!
This cracking Roman marble statuette depicts an athlete at the peak of fitness! It may have decorated the town house of one of Eboracum’s wealthier residents. Has someone taken a bite out of this 🍑?
BEAT THAT!💥 pic.twitter.com/N3A6KYz339
Of course, museum curators couldn’t resist showcasing their entries for the “Best Museum Bum.”
Take a look at some of the entries:
1. The Museum of Arts & Sciences in Daytona Beach, Florida, shared not just one, but four majestic bums!
2. The theme didn’t say it had to be a human bum.
3. That’s just to be expected, coming from Hercules.
4. This museum makes sure their bums are protected from wears and… cracks.
5. Is it really a surprise that the naked statues are all the rage in museums?
6. The caption simply wins it.
7. A painting showcasing some Sumo wrestlers’ bums, courtesy of a Japanese museum.
8. This museum blames onlookers (and touchers) for flattening this peach.
9. Another entry of almost-naked wrestlers makes it to the list.
10. It is, indeed, one delicately rendered bum.
11. Who knew a painting could be extremely relatable?
12. Another Hercules, but this time painted, and wearing nothing but a rooster hat.
13. We can’t resist a classic.
14. They just couldn’t help butt… crack… some puns.
15. Museum-goers themselves wanted to join in on the fun!
What a hilariously great way to showcase art from all over the world!
We should thank the Yorkshire Museum for starting such a wonderful “Curator Battle” every month! We’re feeling more cultured with every monthly battle!
Source: inspire MORE